Apr 24, 2012

Montserratian Hike

Last Sunday was the first time that I've joined a tour, organised by my village's "Alpine Club". The route was announced as difficult and it aimed at a part of Montserrat, called Ecos, that was totally unknown to me. We met at 7 o'clock in the morning and I was astonished to see, that I would share my day with 13 more persons...
A brilliant, shiny nice bug

The walk started at about 7:45 at the monastery of Santa Cecilia. Our way led us straight towards our first ascent through a steep canyon called Canal De La Llum. Just were it began, though, we made a short side trip to a spring (Font De La Llum), situated under a rather big rock. After having seen whatever worth seeing there was, we continued our walk up...

An interesting route
Without any incidences other than sweating a lot, we reached a col (Portell de Migdia), where a pretty cold wind was blowing, forcing us to quickly descent a on the other side before finding some protected place. There we decided to unwrap our sandwiches in order to regain some energy. At this point we also split our group into two, for the track some of us wanted to take required a little climbing and aerial exposure not everybody was keen to try themselves at. While some took a more secure way called Canal De La Salamandra, I throw myself into the sporty route through the Canal Dels Micos.
Nice view of the Salamandra (I think)
If some of my companions hadn't impressed me during the ascend before, they certainly did at this point. This goes especially for the 73 years old man and a woman roughly the age of my mother in law. Not only that they attacked the unsecured climb without any signs of hesitation, they even helped others during the ascent. It was really reassuring to see what's possible for the slightly elderly, and I'd gladly sell my soul in order to make sure I still can enjoy this kind of activities when I'm their age.
St Jerony in the background
The Canal Dels Micos is a very steep and narrow canyon which allowed us to gain height by means of wedging us between the walls and helping us with the roots of several trees. The most exposed parts also state cables and chains and after a while all of us had negotiated these funny difficulties. Now we had access to the highest point of that day's roue: 1223m high Miranda Dels Ecos which offered us a stunning, almost 360º view.
Better not to fall down here
 

Our group at Miranda Dels Ecos

The way down led us to a sort of chimney equipped with both, ropes and a chain. Personally, I think it was the most hairy part of our excursion, but my fellows were not impressed all too much. Without the necessity to mount a rappel, they once again impressed me as one after another they took their ways down.
Having overcome this point, we rejoined the other group and together continued the trail which now led us around a well known rock formation called The Sphinx. Just behind it lay the Aurons and a short climb up a minor lift again rewarded us with nice views.   
A part of Montserrat called Agulles (needles)
Aurons
Some flank crossings and another chain finally led us to a col called Coll De Miracle. Here we could have decided to start our way down and call it a day, but since all of us were still eager to have some more fun, we happily went on to Coll De Porc. 
Almost a group photography
A typical Montserratinean chimney

Here, the knees of one of us started complaining, so he made his way down and back to the cars, but the rest of the group still felt fine and decided to take a rather technical trail towards a col called Portell Estret. That part of our hike started with a climb equipped with a chain and some ladder-like irons and for me was one of the day's funniest moments...
Ladder-chain-combination
and soon was followed by other points of interests where we again got confronted with fixed ropes. Due to the time consuming roped descends our group, now consisting of 13 individuals, needed almost two and a half hours,instead of the hour that was indicated at Coll De Porc. Nonetheless we all steadily found our way to the day's final col where we had a late lunch before finally heading back to our cars.
Another picture of Agulles
One of the things I like most about Montserrat is the fact that behind every turn the landscape takes a totally different appearance and last Sunday's hike allowed me two enjoy lots of those sudden transformations. Furthermore I have not only discovered very interesting areas formerly unknown to me but also could share these nice experiences with a very funny and interesting group of persons I've my favourite hobby in common with.
A very big Thank You to the Secció De Muntanya del Centre Excursionista De Sant Vicenç De Castellet for integrating me in such a nice manner into their group!

No comments: